Project Management for Team Members
Now a contributing resource within the White House/Software and Information Industry Association (SIIA) Tech for Learners trusted resources for online learning in support of students, parents, instructors, schools and workforce during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.
There are many books on how to be a project manager, but there aren’t many books on how to be an effective project team member. People are not typically trained on how to be an effective project team member, not setting them (or the project) up to be successful. Project Management for Team Members – written by a practicing project manager – is intended to fill this gap. It contains the information project team members need to interact with the project manager and to work together as participants in the project management process.
Project team members have an important role in helping to drive the project to success, contributing to the organizations’ desired outcomes and goals. They need to deliver their assigned tasks by the specified dates, share progress information, and collaborate with other team members. They need to participate in project planning activities, help manage project scope, and identify and escalate action items. They need to communicate effectively with the project manager, pushing information in a timely manner.
This book provides the project management skills needed to be a proactive team member: understanding the desired outcome of the project, prioritizing work appropriately, understanding the nuances of the project plans, and being a more effective problem-solver. The book provides best practices and techniques for the project team member to:
- Provide input to the project schedule.
- Articulate potential conflicts between assigned project tasks and other responsibilities.
- Estimate work.
- Assess and communicate the progress of work.
- Escalate action items and respond to change requests.
- Solve problems, collaborate, and communicate effectively with fellow team members.
Project Management for Team Members is intended for the:
- Person new to working on projects who wants to understand their role as project team member,
- Project team member who wants to be more effective at fulfilling their responsibilities,
- Project manager who wants to improve how they interact with their team members.
The book can be read by an individual at their own pace, by each team member as part of a project kick-off phase, or in a cohort as part of a book club, general employee onboarding, or development program.
Project Management for Team Members can also be used in a college course to provide students the skills they need to be an effective team member when they are completing group activities, capstone projects, or preparing for an internship.
This digital book presents content through readings, videos, and podcasts, and reinforces the learnings through self-checks and self-reflections. Templates for common project team member activities are available via download.
- Project Management Overview
- Participating in Scoping
- Participating in Planning
- Completing Project Assignments
- Closing Out Your Time on the Project
- Appendices: Glossary and Templates
This product can be purchased from Vital Source Bookshelf for $39.95
Where and how to preview:
To adopt this book for your organization or institution, contact us at 630-549-0941 or email@example.com.
To purchase this book for yourself, Vital Source Bookshelf and search for the following ISBN: AA4E20192917LB